Tuesday, November 23, 2004

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

Alas and alack, Dan Rather is retiring from his anchor position. I lurf him -- he's the one who safely got me through my y2k anxiety attack, as he and i sludged through the wee hours of January 1st, EST. It was 12am in Fiji and like 4am in New Jersey, but together, Dan and I went the distance and watched the Pacific Islanders celebrate as, thankfully, the Russian missile silos apparently remained intact. And then I watched New Year's come to several other time zones and finally went to sleep, content and smug that we weren't going to bite the big one, nuclear stylez.

I'm sorry about that whole 60 Minutes debacle, Dan. But you'll always be my number one news guy.


And now, my favorite lyric from "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" ::
"Richard says 'withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy.'"

(Richard apparently being Richard Linklater, who directed, among other movies, one my very favoritest [Waking Life -- i know, i'm pretentious. you can suck it, clit-style.]

Anyhoo. And so, Dan Rather, I say unto you:
Withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy.
I wish those documents had been real and Bush lost the election, but at least you were attempting to fight the good fight. Do not go gently into that good night, Dan Rather.

No comments: