Sunday, February 13, 2005

SOMETHING's gonna change my world?

Geez Louise, all star cast including Billie Joe and Norah zzzz Jones and Alicia Ickeys and Stevie Wonder and Steven Tyler and Scott Weiland and Brian Wilson and some country dude, amongst others? "SOME"things gonna change my world? (interrobang). I know you're trying to raise money for tsunami relief, and I'm all over that, yo. But something is amiss!

"Across the Universe"
Words are flying out like endless rain into a paper cup
They slither while they pass, They slip away across the universe.
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting thorough my open mind,
Possessing and caressing me

Jai guru deva om
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes
That call me on and on across the universe
Thoughts meander like a restless wind inside a letter box
they tumble blindly as they make their way across the universe

Jai guru deva om
Nothing's gonna change my world

Sounds of laughter, shades of life are ringing through my open ears
exciting and inviting me.
Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns --
It calls me on and on across the universe

Jai guru deva om
Nothing's gonna change my world
Jai guru deva
Jai guru deva


I always thought the whole song was a meditation on the blissful awareness of imperfection and the beatific joy to be found in realizing that one creates one's own worldview and that sense of reality is the only one that really matters.

So if "something's" gonna change my world, it twists the entire song into being about wanting change and wanting something to happen ... something to ... hey! something to change the world!

oh. i guess these rock stars want us to donate money for tsunami relief.

much like Emily Litella: oh. never mind.

1 comment:

Plantation said...

Don't really mean to agree with everything our beloved blogging host says, but that whole act just didn't go over with me. Bad song choice. And where the fuck was Amy Lee?