Saturday, October 15, 2005

Gary Benchley, Rock Star

So I read Gary Benchley's columns when they were serialized in the morning news and I thought they were breathtakingly astounding. If you, or anyone you know, has ever
a) lived in Williamsburg
b) been in an NYC rockband
c) been an early-twentysomething in NYC
then Gary's life could be your own.

I devoured his columns like a weasel devours a three-legged chicken.

And now, there's a book!

And now, the truth is out -- Gary Benchley is none other than superawesome guy Paul Ford! He discloses the truth right over here.

And now I can disclose that Paul Ford is good friends with my friend Steve. Steve once accompanied me to one of my post-Nipplegate reaction breast-puppet shows. And that, friends,that is the reason why, on page 22, you will find Gary's account of going to Galapagos and seeing a woman do a breast-puppet show.

You can also read Gary's Galapagos adventure in the fourth installment of the serialized Letters of Gary Benchley right here. To entice you, please read Gary's Galapagos description -- it's one of the most awesomely simple/complex analyses of the WB scene I know:
There is a bar called Galapagos, which is also an art and performance space, and when you walk in there’s a large black reflecting pool surrounded by a rail. At first the pool looks incredibly deep, almost bottomless, but it is actually shallow, and you can see your reflection in it. It is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. To me, that pool is Williamsburg.

But the book! The whole fucking book is like that! It's SO FUCKING AWESOME RAD, it is my doubleplus number one recommendation.

I also highly recommend Harvey Danger's new album, "Little by Little." You can, in this want-it-for-free-RIGHT-NOW age, download it for free right over here. Zug? Sputter sputter what? For FREE? Yes. Read why right here. The album's stellar; Sean Nelson and his cronies created some topnotch stuff. Peppy pop, solid melodies, swirly harmonies. I disagree with their current choice of single but I wholeheartedly endorse this album.

And speaking even more of rock stars, my favoritest rock star and buddy Mike Doughty is rocking NYC on the 22nd and I'm fracking stoked. Especially because I am now immortalized on his blog for revealing that Captain Adama survives Boomer/Sharon's attempt on his life at the end of season 1 of Balactica.

No comments: