Wednesday, December 21, 2005

io, Saturnalia!

Oh boy! It's solstice today at 1:35pm! ... which means it's time for some Saturnalianess! Let us make like the Pagans do!

And what Solstice can be complete without Dar Williams (my teenage idol!) singing "The Christians and The Pagans"? (Listen to it here!. )

I've been far, far away from my hippie-wonder days for a long time, but it feels a little bit like my internal tides are perhaps starting to think about shifting, and I particularly enjoy this line from the song explaining why the Pagan lesbian is not a Christian:
"But we love trees, we love the snow, the friends we have, the world we share / And you find magic from your God, and we find magic everywhere".

Anyhoo! Speaking of songs, here is the song I wrote in my head as I was once again walking to work. It's vaguely to the tune of "Hooray for Hollywood," which I know mostly from that episode of the Simpsons when Mark Hamill was in "Guys and Dolls" and they sang, "Guys and dolls, we're just a bunch of crazy guys and dolls" to the tune of "Hooray for Hollywood."

Ahem. Without further ado:
Transit Strike!
T-t-t t-t-t-t Transit Strike!
You'll have to walk or maybe ride your bike!
Transit Strike!
Transit Strike!
And you can't even take a cab alone!
And then you'll have to pay for every zone!
And walking in the cold is not much fun!
And I can't get my Christmas shopping done!
Transit Strike!
Transit Strike!
I sure don't much like
the Transit Strike!



And, just for gits and shiggles: R. Kelly does the national anthem!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Oohhhh! Thanks so much for the Dar - haven't heard that one in ages! LOVEIT!

p.s. - "Western New York" is one of my faves - SUNY Fredonia HOLLA!