Monday, May 21, 2007

This is a Sandstorm

When I flew into Amman, I actually really-truly thought that perhaps my time in this lifetime was over. The pilots weren't saying anything, and we were circling and circling through the most outrageous turbulence and horrible conditions. People were praying, crying, and assuming crash positions. I took my sunglasses off my head in case of impact, and tried to think happy thoughts. I couldn't see anything out the window - it should have been early evening outside, but it was brown and gray and apocalyptic. I thought perhaps Amman had been firebombed and we were flying into war.



It wasn't war at all! It was just a sandstorm. This photo was taken the morning AFTER the sandstorm I flew into -- so this is a mild sandstorm, relatively speaking. CRAZY TALK.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

WOW! I thought - hey, let me check in with Bex - it's been a while - and then I thought - HOLY SHIT! I would have been singing, "I crossed the river Jordan, and what did I see? Comin' for to carry me home! A sand storm of angels comin' after me, comin' for to carry me and my Chanel shades home."